This information applies within the United States ONLY.
What is the Criminal Background Check, and how do I get one?
If you are based in the United States, you can add a Criminal Background Check badge to your Airtasker profile to improve your chances of being assigned tasks. This application will link you to Checkr, our verifications provider, who will report on whether you have any Disclosable Court Outcomes on your record. Adding a Background Check is not required to operate on the platform.
What criteria do I need to meet to receive a Criminal Background Check once I apply?
You will receive a Criminal Background Check badge if:
- You do not have a Disclosable Court Outcome (i.e. you have a clean criminal history report) as notified to us by our verifications provider; AND
- Your full name and date of birth details on Airtasker match those provided for the criminal background check.
If your Airtasker account details do not match those returned by the verification provider, we'll let you know via email that we will update your account details to match. In the case that you do have a Disclosable Court Outcome, the verifications provider will contact you directly to let you know. The badge will not be displayed on your profile.
What is a Disclosable Court Outcome?
A Disclosable Court Outcome means that, following the criminal background check, an individual has reportable offense (s) found in their background, which can be released to the organization that requested the check. Disclosable Court Outcomes may include:
- court convictions, including penalties and sentences;
- findings of guilt with no conviction;
- court appearances;
- matters awaiting court hearings.
Is there a Criminal Background Check application fee?
No. The Criminal Background Check is free for Taskers. You can click this link to apply for the Criminal Background Check Badge.
How long can a Criminal Background Check Badge be displayed?
A Criminal Background Check Badge can only be displayed on your profile for a maximum of 24 months. The last date that the Background Check was verified is displayed on your profile alongside the badge. After 24 months, to continue displaying the badge, you will need to reapply for another Criminal Background Check badge.
What if I already have my own Criminal Background Check?
At this stage, we are unable to accept any criminal background checks other than those completed as part of our Criminal Background Check Badge process. When you receive a background check through our process, the certificate you receive will show the reason being for Airtasker. This means the check meets certain criteria, organized through our verification provider, that we cannot apply to checks obtained for other reasons.
I have registered my interest, but haven't received any follow-up information
If you do not receive an email, or if you have any questions, please contact Airtasker Support for further help.
When will I receive my Criminal Background Check Badge?
Once Airtasker is notified of the result directly from our verifications provider, the Criminal Background Check Badge will be added to your profile.
- Your profile name must match exactly what is on your Background Check Badge. Please look out for an email from our team if you don't meet this requirement.
- Once a Criminal Background Check Badge is added to your profile, you will no longer be able to edit your name and date of birth details.
- Airtasker reserves the right to amend or remove the Criminal Background Check Badge from a member's profile at any time.
- Please note that the accuracy and quality of this Criminal Background Check will depend on the accurate identification of the Applicant (including aliases), the information provided in the application form, and the comprehensiveness of court records.
- While every care has been taken by the verification provider as an accredited agency to process a criminal background check, this does not purport to be a complete and comprehensive search of all available court records. The accuracy and coverage are contingent upon the accurate identification of the Applicant and the quality of Court Records. Reasons for court record Information being excluded from the report include the operation of laws that prevent disclosure of certain court records, or that the Applicant’s record is not identified by the search process across the verification provider's information holdings.