Sometimes tasks get complicated and, while rare, disputes on Airtasker can happen. Disputes generally happen when Posters and Taskers miscommunicate or tasks don't go to plan.
Airtasker provides a free dispute service for Posters and Taskers. This 4 stage dispute process can help you negotiate and come to an agreement.
For a task to be considered for Airtasker’s dispute process, please make sure:
- Work on the task has been started.
- Airtasker's Community Guidelines have not been breached.
If the above terms have been met, the task is eligible for dispute assistance from Airtasker Support. Please see a description of the process below:
Stage 1 - Reach out to the other member
- Before we can help, you need to try and resolve your differences with the other person directly.
- If you’re not able to agree after 48 hours, please let us know here.
- For more information about reaching out to come to an agreement, please see our tips here.
Stage 2 - Let Airtasker know what’s happened
- If you can’t agree with the other person, we can help you communicate with them.
- We'll provide you with a form where you can give us all the details on what’s happened.
Stage 3 - Mediation with Airtasker Support
- Both members will share their own thoughts on the task and hear where the other person is coming from.
- You will have 3 opportunities to suggest new payment amounts and resolutions.
- We will act as an impartial facilitator of your offers.
- An agreement has to be reached for payment to be released.
Stage 4 - Airtasker makes a decision
- If an agreement can’t be reached after the mediation process has finished, we will make a decision.
- The decision will be based on the details and evidence that you’ve shared.
- Detailed reasoning for the decision will be provided.
- If you don’t agree with the recommendation, you can take the matter to your local court of tribunal at your own cost.
We fully understand that being in a dispute can be a stressful experience. We’re here to help you negotiate your own resolution as much as possible. To make this effective as possible, keep in mind the following tips:
- Know your options for resolution, and what to expect if you’re in a dispute.
- Try to resolve the situation as best you can with the other member.
- Consider the other person’s point of view.
- Expect payment to be released or refunded without an agreement.
- Contact Airtasker Support without trying to resolve the situation with the other person directly first.
- Breach the Community Guidelines during the dispute process.